County Durham and Darlington Cancer Patients and Carers Group
Terms of Reference
The County Durham and Darlington Cancer Patients and Carers Group (CDDCPCG) is a locality service user group for the Northern Cancer Alliance. The Alliance believes that user involvement is central to developments in cancer services. Their vision is to listen to and involve patients and carers, in order to understand how to serve their needs and fulfill their commitment to put patients at the heart of everything they do.
The role of the CDDCPCG is to work closely with health professionals to influence cancer services within County Durham and Darlington, by using patient and carer experiences, whilst maintaining links with the Cancer Alliance.
Membership includes service users (ex-patients and carers, patients, carers or family members) and health care professionals. Whenever possible different cancer experiences and tumour sites should be represented. Membership is open to service users who either live in the County Durham and Darlington area or have received treatment at a County Durham and Darlington Foundation Trust hospital. Any issues relating to other Foundation Trusts will be referred to the Cancer Alliance.
Wherever possible there will be a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer, nominated and elected annually.
Aims and Objectives
- To provide a patient and carer viewpoint to those making decisions about local cancer services.
- To raise awareness about the importance of user involvement and what it can achieve.
- To work in cooperation with health care professionals and organisations involved in delivering care across all aspects of the 'cancer journey'.
- To maintain links with other cancer groups, including support groups.
- To welcome everyone equally and take steps to make the Group open and accessible.
- To provide accurate and practical information but not to give medical advice or make recommendations inappropriately. The Group will not endorse specific products and therapies.
- To ensure that everyone within the Group understands and respects confidentiality.
- The Group does not act as a support group.
A maximum of three user representatives will be elected to the Cancer Locality Management Group (CLMG) for County Durham and Darlington. When appropriate there will be representation on Cancer Alliance groups and local initiative groups.
Areas of Work
The Group will produce an Annual Work Programme.
There will be 4 meetings per year with an agenda and minutes. Members will be eligible to claim mileage to meetings.
Funds shall be held in a bank account for which there will be three named signatories. Any two signatories will sign cheques or mandates drawn on the Group’s account. The treasurer shall keep records of accounts of the Group, which will be audited by a suitably qualified person and presented to the Group. Essential telephone, stationary, postage and other agreed expenses will be reimbursed on submission of a receipt.
If it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the Group, the Secretary will contact the necessary personnel and organisations.
The Terms of Reference will be reviewed regularly.
7th March 2019